- A bass lute with an extended neck which supports unstopped bass strings.More example sentences
- Baschenis' paintings have the spareness and dramatic lighting of Caravaggio's, but in his still lifes, the lutes, archlutes, violins, guitars, and cellos usually appear without human accompaniment.
- Another delight is the appearance of the archlute, the theorbo, and the Baroque guitar, particularly in the slow movements, where their mellow plucking ticks off the gentle seconds.
- The archlute and the chitarrone or theorbo had, in addition to the strings on the fingerboard, open bass strings on an extended neck with a second pegbox.
mid 17th century: from French archiluth, from archi- 'chief' + luth 'lute'.
More definitions of archluteDefinition of archlute in:
- The US English dictionary