nounZoology & Palaeontology
A reptile of a large group that includes the dinosaurs and pterosaurs and is represented today only by the crocodilians.
- Subdivision Archosauria, subclass Diapsida
More example sentences
- Other archosaurs included the pterosaurs, relatives of dinosaurs but not true dinosaurs.
- At the same time, the broad, dry plains of equatorial Pangea provided a proving ground for a strange new group of lightweight, but large-bodied, archosaurs - the dinosaurs.
- The archosaur skull includes two new fenestra (skull openings).
1930s: from modern Latin Archosauria, from Greek arkhos 'chief' or arkhōn 'ruler' + -saur.
Definition of archosaur in:
- The US English dictionary