Definition of areola in English:
noun (plural areolae /-liː/)Anatomy
1A small circular area, in particular the ring of pigmented skin surrounding a nipple.
- They are encircled by a pigmented ring called the areola, and surrounded by nerve endings and blood vessels.
- Most of the breast tissue in a man is concentrated in the area immediately behind the nipple and areola.
- As reported in The Journal of Family Practice, a patient complained of itching that had lasted for about six months in and near an areola, but a clinical examination turned up no skin changes or other reason for the itching.
1.1 Biology Any of the small spaces between lines or cracks on a leaf or an insect’s wing.
- On the valve surface the areolae are grouped together in fascicles bordered by distinct radial lines.
- The areolae on the valve are usually too small to be distinguishable with the light microscope.
- The cell surface is ornamented with pores or areolae with poroid centers, sometimes in species-specific patterns.
- Example sentences
- For capsule contracture, ‘We have done a capsulotomy through the belly button, although it's more difficult than the areolar approach.’
- The ventral paratenon consists of fatty mesenteric-like areolar tissue that is rich in blood vessels that nourish the tendon.
- They may be located within the thorax embedded in thymic tissue, in the posterior mediastinum, and in the areolar tissue associated with the pericardium.
- Example sentences
- The surface of the cell is coarsely areolate, with a pore in each areole.
- This area in June of 1988 was not noted to contain any obvious areolate plants but did contain them in 1989.
- Loss of indusium, dimorphism, areolate venation, and reduced blade dissection have occurred repeatedly along many evolutionary lines in Dryopteridaceae.
Words that rhyme with areolarubeola
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan