noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A basic amino acid which is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: HNC(NH2)NH(CH2)3CH(NH2)COOH
- Guanidoacetate itself is formed in the kidney from the amino acids arginine and glycine.
- The amino acids arginine and leucine are noncarbohydrate inducers of insulin.
- The conditionally essential amino acid arginine has also been added to this formula to help support growth factor production.
late 19th century: from German Arginin, perhaps from Greek arginoeis 'bright-shining, white'.
More definitions of arginineDefinition of arginine in:
- The US English dictionary