Definition of arkose in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A coarse-grained sandstone which is at least 25 per cent feldspar.
- The matrix ranges from sandstone to arkose, and is frequently just fine-grained conglomerate.
- Ghanem et al. referred to the Hammamat Group as molasse-type sediments that consist of polymictic conglomerate, arkose, greywacke, siltstone and minor mudstone.
- Conglomerate clasts are principally volcanic rocks and greenish gray chert, with subordinate arkose, graywacke, siltstone, red chert, quartzite, white quartz, and limestone.
- Example sentences
- The rocks typically comprise a monotonous sequence of greywackes, reddish-weathering arkosic sandstones, shales and subordinate conglomerates.
- During this study, however, chlorite associated with the final stages of deformation has been identified in the limestone and arkosic sandstone of the Timirovo thrust system.
- The upper part is more sandy, containing clean, arkosic, sharp-based sandstones up to 50 cm thick with locally matrix-supported conglomeratic bases.
Pronunciation: /ˌɑːkəʊsɪk/ /ˌɑːˈkəʊzɪk/adjective
Definition of arkose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan