noun[mass noun] Geology
A coarse-grained sandstone which is at least 25 per cent feldspar.
More example sentences
- The matrix ranges from sandstone to arkose, and is frequently just fine-grained conglomerate.
- Ghanem et al. referred to the Hammamat Group as molasse-type sediments that consist of polymictic conglomerate, arkose, greywacke, siltstone and minor mudstone.
- Conglomerate clasts are principally volcanic rocks and greenish gray chert, with subordinate arkose, graywacke, siltstone, red chert, quartzite, white quartz, and limestone.
- More example sentences
- The rocks typically comprise a monotonous sequence of greywackes, reddish-weathering arkosic sandstones, shales and subordinate conglomerates.
- During this study, however, chlorite associated with the final stages of deformation has been identified in the limestone and arkosic sandstone of the Timirovo thrust system.
- The upper part is more sandy, containing clean, arkosic, sharp-based sandstones up to 50 cm thick with locally matrix-supported conglomeratic bases.
Pronunciation: /ˌɑːkəʊsɪk, -zɪk/adjective
Definition of arkose in:
- The US English dictionary