Definition of armiger in English:
A person entitled to heraldic arms.
- The toiling masses now seem to be composed mostly of noble armigers bearing double-barrelled names.
- In 1989 there were only three armigers in the Clan, one of whom was an active claimant to the Chiefship.
- This is in addition to any additional moneys armigers may have to pay for such protection.
- Example sentences
- In fact this was a two-way movement, with junior members of knightly or armigerous county families taking an interest in towns and trade.
- Remember that the first step to discovering whether your family is armigerous is sound genealogical knowledge.
- In the early days of New England in the seventeenth century there were a good number of armigerous families.
Mid 16th century: Latin, literally 'bearing arms', from arma 'arms' + gerere 'to bear'.
Words that rhyme with armigerscrimmager
Definition of armiger in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.