- A fungus of a genus that includes the honey fungus, found chiefly in woodland. Its mycelia can grow for a considerable distance, enabling individuals of parasitic species to invade more than one tree.
More example sentences
- Genus Armillaria, family Tricholomataceae, class Hymenomycetes: many species, including A. bulbosa, a single individual of which may span several hectares
- On the other hand, a vine with a small and/or unhealthy root system, be it due to shallow soil, drought, root pests such as phylloxera, or diseases such as armillaria root rot, will support only low-vigour growth.
- Mushrooms of armillaria may develop annually in the fall, during wet periods.
- Developing fan-shaped mat of fungal strands caused by armillaria root rot at base of sycamore trunk
modern Latin: from Latin armilla 'bracelet' (because of the bracelet-like frill on the fruiting bodies).