Relating to the doctrines of Jacobus Arminius (Latinized name of Jakob Hermandszoon, 1560–1609), a Dutch Protestant theologian who rejected the Calvinist doctrine of predestination. His teachings had a considerable influence on Methodism.
- The second work in the manuscript is argumentative and polemical, engaged not in the interior life so much as in the Calvinist / Arminian debate.
- There is little history, for instance, of disagreement over Calvinist or Arminian views.
- The controversy originated through the incursion of Arminian preachers into the Calvinistic Methodist churches of 18th century Wales.
An adherent of Arminian doctrines.
- Charles was a high churchman and promoted Arminians, but members of Parliament were predominantly low church, equating Arminianism with ‘popery’, which they abhorred.
- These people spoke with great harshness of Arminians and of John Wesley, the Arminian leader, in particular.
- On the other hand, in Holland, Calvinism dominated the established church, and the dissenting Waterlander Mennonites were Arminians, which makes the stance of the early Baptists more understandable.
- Example sentences
- There are godly evangelical scholars on both sides of the debates about the roles of men and women, spiritual gifts, church government, Calvinism vs Arminianism, the Millennium and Tribulation, etc., etc.
- A superficial understanding of faith and doctrine leaves our churches and members vulnerable to deviations from the gospel - Arminianism, the Charismatic movement or reconstructionism, for example.
- His parents belonged to a particular sect of Calvinists in England in those days, the followers of William Huntington, who were marked by their war unto death against Arminianism and all Arminians.
Words that rhyme with ArminianArgentinian, Augustinian, Carthaginian, Darwinian, dominion, Guinean, Justinian, Ninian, Palestinian, Sardinian, Virginian
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Ar¦min|ian
Definition of Arminian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.