Any of a number of insect larvae which occur in destructive swarms, in particular:
- ● The caterpillars of some moths, which feed on cereals and other crops and move en masse when the food is exhausted (Spodoptera and other genera, family Noctuidae). ● The small maggots of certain fungus gnats, which move in large numbers within secreted slime (genus Sciara, family Mycetophilidae).
More example sentences
- A gene that codes for a single myosuppressin FLRFamide has been found in Drosophila, the cockroach Diploptera punctata, and the true army worm Pseudaletia unipuncta.
- They are studying which plants a beet army worm prefers for egg laying.
- From alfalfa weevil larvae and adults to army worms, cloverworms, cutworms, and alfalfa caterpillars to all sorts of aphids, some form of pest seems to be almost everywhere.
Definition of army worm in:
- The US English dictionary