- 1A distinctive, typically pleasant smell: the tantalizing aroma of fresh coffeeMore example sentences
- The aroma of the fresh coffee could be smelled half way down the street, says Muriel.
- The air smelled of cotton candy and popcorn, the fresh and tantalizing aromas of childhood.
- It was stuffed with something soft that rustled and smelt pleasant: a potpourri aroma.
- 1.1A subtle, pervasive quality or atmosphere: the aroma of officialdomMore example sentences
- It is an era of, an aroma of, an aura of some mesmerizing music performance.
- Police checked the area, finding only the usual ambient aroma of free-floating malaise.
Middle English (usually in the plural denoting fragrant plants or spices): via Latin from Greek arōma 'spice'.