- An early type of portable gun supported on a tripod or a forked rest.More example sentences
- The Japanese use of the arquebus was a considerable element in their success.
- For example, bowstrings were easily split, spear shafts easily broken and use of the arquebus often dictated by the weather.
- The arquebus was fairly common throughout the length of Japan by 1580, but often in short supply in the more remote regions.
mid 16th century: from French harquebuse, based on Middle Low German hakebusse, from hake 'hook' + busse 'gun'.
More definitions of arquebusDefinition of arquebus in:
- The US English dictionary