- A wall hanging made of a rich tapestry fabric, typically used to conceal an alcove: he pulled back the arras on the far wall and went into his secret chamberMore example sentences
- Polonius reports that he will spy on Hamlet's visit to Queen Gertrude by stowing himself behind an arras in her bedroom.
- Spying behind an arras, Polonius perceives Gertrude's danger and cries for help.
- Polonius hides behind an arras and yelps when Hamlet's rage endangers the Queen.
late Middle English (originally denoting the fabric itself): named after the French town of Arras.
More definitions of ArrasDefinition of arras in:
- The US English dictionary