- A concealed thought or intention; an ulterior motive.More example sentences
- But this military judgement cloaked political arrière-pensées.
- In one sphere the French did try genuinely to develop their liberating and civilizing mission unencumbered by economic and military considerations, if not totally free of the arrière-pensée of French greatness.
- Too often, when donor governments decide which of your activities to fund, there is a flagrant political arrière-pensée.
French, literally 'behind thought'.
More definitions of arrière-penséeDefinition of arrière-pensée in:
- The US English dictionary