Definition of arrive in English:
- Now safe from harm, he and his parents continued their journey and when they arrived in Timnah the lovers looked at each other and were pleased.
- Shehadeh had arrived in Edinburgh after a torturous journey from Ramallah which continues to bear the brunt of the Israeli occupation.
- The Varley family finally arrived in Shannon on the Sunday afternoon and Tony arrived in Westport just in time to go on stage.
- Customers on Blue Line 1 will be pleased to know that 12 new double deck buses will arrive early in November bringing much needed extra capacity on this busy route.
- The circulating nurse verifies that the implant components have arrived and brings them to the OR.
- I once ordered flowers at another florist's with the same time span for delivery and the flowers arrived on time.
- When the Moment of Truth arrives, the user sees the results of a proper double-blind test.
- After a long and abrasive period of campaigning, the UK General Election has finally arrived.
- For such a prospect requires that an infinite number of events must have elapsed before the present moment could arrive.
- For local residents, the long wait for offshore petroleum development to arrive on their shores is over.
- Dell seems determined to pick up Intel's Yamhill product when it arrives - one day.
- But this time around, it's a much more polished entertainer, although it's overshadowed by products yet to arrive.
- The conclusion they arrive at is the only logical one it is possible to reach.
- And he is hardly alone in arriving at the conclusion that Monty has dodged a very serious bullet.
- I would love to say that I have agonized long and hard before arriving at this decision.
- Twin babies girls arrived in Culleen recently to proud parents Pat and Mary Needham.
- It was the best Christmas present of all for a young Stromness family when baby girl Holly arrived on Boxing Day.
- The first Swindon babies of 2003 began arriving in the early hours of the year.
- However, if you struggle too much then you won't actually be able to achieve victory once you arrive.
- The Miller Glasgow International Comedy Festival has finally arrived as a major fixture in the comic calendar.
Until about 1550 the main meaning of arrive was ‘to come ashore or into port after a voyage’. You could also talk about ‘arriving’ a ship or a group of passengers, meaning to bring them to shore. Only later did the more general sense of ‘to reach a destination, come to the end of a journey’ develop. Arrive comes from the Old French word ariver, ultimately from Latin ad- ‘to’ and ripa ‘shore’ also the source of river.
Words that rhyme with arrivealive, chive, Clive, connive, contrive, deprive, dive, drive, five, gyve, hive, I've, jive, live, MI5, revive, rive, shrive, skive, strive, survive, swive, thrive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.