Definition of arsenic in English:
- In animals and plants, arsenic combines with carbon and hydrogen to form organic arsenic.
- Harvey's team suggests that organic carbon feeds chemical reactions that liberate arsenic from minerals in the soil.
- Well basically CCA treated timber is treated with copper, chromium and arsenic, which is injected into the wood under pressure.
Arsenic compounds (and their poisonous properties) have been known since ancient times, and the metallic form was isolated in the Middle Ages. Arsenic occurs naturally in orpiment, realgar, and other minerals, and rarely as the free element. Arsenic is used in semiconductors and some specialized alloys; its toxic compounds are widely used as herbicides and pesticides
- Your article on arsenic poisoning of drinking water in Bangladesh and India (International, August 8) clearly illustrated a terrible disaster for many millions of people.
- Since following UN advice to dig deeper wells 12 years ago, 15,000 serious cases of arsenic poisoning have been identified.
- He was murdered on September 6 by arsenic poisoning while on a Geruda Airlines flight from Jakarta to Amsterdam.
- Further dilutions only serve to reduce our chance of finding an arsenic ion by an order of magnitude each time.
- When heated in air, it reacts with oxygen to form arsenic oxide.
- All of these came from natural sources such as madder, kermes, red and white lead, verdigris, yellow ochre, yellow arsenic sulphide, oak gall, indigo and woad and lapis lazuli.
Definition of arsenic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.