noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A poisonous gas smelling slightly of garlic, made by the reaction of some arsenides with acids.
- Alternative name: arsenic trihydride; chemical formula: AsH3
More example sentences
- Since the explosion yesterday morning, which jammed a main cargo door shut, gases including hydrogen, phosphine and arsine, a derivative of arsenic, have started venting from the cargo hold.
- Some of the chemicals - including caustic hydrogen fluoride and deadly arsine gas - are toxic, and the fossil fuel consumed contributes to global warming, says Williams.
- The suspected gasses in the SIDS deaths were; arsine from arsenic, phosphine from phosphorus, and stibine from the element antimony.
late 19th century: from arsenic, on the pattern of amine.
Definition of arsine in:
- The US English dictionary