noun (plural artels, arteli)• historical
- (In pre-revolutionary Russia) a cooperative association of craftsmen living and working together.More example sentences
- Producers' cooperatives in the form of artels were already part of Russian tradition; what was new was the sudden popularity of marketing and purchasing cooperatives.
- 60% of the Koryaks had joined co-operatives and artels by 1940 when collective farms came into existence.
- Nonetheless, the artels and consolidated villages became permanent settlements.
from Russian artelʹ.
More definitions of artelDefinition of artel in:
- The US English dictionary