- 1Relating to an artery or arteries.More example sentences
- The allergen causes the release of chemicals within the body which act to make the small arterial blood vessels dilate and to leak fluid from the capillaries into the surrounding tissues.
- Arterial, venous, and pulmonary arterial catheters were placed.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding from arterial venous malformations traditionally is treated with combined estrogen and progesterone therapy.
- 2Denoting an important route in a system of roads, railway lines, or rivers: one of the main arterial routes from YorkMore example sentences
- There are also suitable sites on Bradford's arterial routes like Manchester Road.
- Some of the worst blackspots occur on train routes or main arterial roads around the country.
- It does not matter whether the route is called ring road, bypass, or northern arterial ring road, the residents do not want it along that route.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin arterialis, from Latin arteria (see artery).
More definitions of arterialDefinition of arterial in:
- The US English dictionary