Definition of arthritis in English:
A disease causing painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints.
- Some people with psoriasis develop an inflammation of the joints known as psoriatic arthritis.
- We get through our cancer and heart disease only to face arthritis, dementia, and osteoporosis.
- Bone and joint ailments such as arthritis and rheumatism are often reported too.
- Example sentences
- An arthritic joint often contains loose bodies that interfere with smooth movement.
- Asthmatics and arthritics do better by objective measures, such as peak flow rate or flexibility.
- Now I must rest my arthritic fingers, twisted with the hard labor of my 50 years.
Pronunciation: /-ˈθrɪtɪk/adjective& noun
Words that rhyme with arthritisappendicitis, bronchitis, cellulitis, colitis, conjunctivitis, cystitis, dermatitis, encephalitis, gastroenteritis, gingivitis, hepatitis, laryngitis, lymphangitis, meningitis, nephritis, neuritis, osteoarthritis, pericarditis, peritonitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis
Definition of arthritis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia