Definition of artichoke in English:
1 (also globe artichoke) A European plant cultivated for its large thistle-like flower heads.
- Cynara scolymus, family Compositae
- Other attractive vegetables that work well in a flower garden include tall frondy fennel, the magnificent globe artichoke and nasturtiums for ground cover.
- But there are also edible species of biennial, including carrots, parsley, parsnips and globe artichoke or cardoon.
- They are psyllium, taurine, dandelion, St Mary's Thistle, globe artichoke and slippery elm bark, which have liver protective, restorative properties.
1.1The unopened flower head of the artichoke, of which the heart and the fleshy bases of the bracts are edible.
- Unlike their larger siblings, whose higher placement on the stalk exposes them to the sun, baby artichokes are rendered entirely edible with just a little trimming.
- We ordered the white asparagus and morel soufflé in a globe artichoke with truffle beurre blanc.
- It's what remained after I had enjoyed a particularly good globe artichoke.
2British short for Jerusalem artichoke.
- Some of the best liver-supporting foods are beetroot, carrots, onions, garlic, green leafy vegetables, artichokes and lemons.
- It would be fantastic with cavalo nero, white beans and raw artichokes.
- Certain foods such as kidney beans and artichokes cause an overproduction of bacteria in the stomach, which can in turn lead to excessive flatulence.
Words that rhyme with artichokeHolyoake • gentlefolk
Definition of artichoke in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.