- Bali is blessed with skilled and creative artisans as well as potential markets.
- The Jamaican Arawaks were skilled artisans who left their paintings on the walls of many island caves.
- The wages in real terms for agricultural workers and artisans have fallen.
- Panera's menu offers hearty $7 sandwiches made on artisan breads, as well as soups, salads and baked goods.
- There are 200 artisan cheese producers in Canada (compared to 350 in the US).
- Specialities include a range of artisan cheeses, home-made fresh crab pates and ready-made meals, such as pheasant with pickled walnuts and Lancashire hotpot with oysters.
Mid 16th century: from French, from Italian artigiano, based on Latin artitus, past participle of artire 'instruct in the arts', from ars, art- 'art'.
Words that rhyme with artisanAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, Cheyenne, clan, courtesan, cran, dan, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, partisan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, rattan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ar¦ti|san
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.