- 1Without guile or deception: an artless, naive girl artless sincerityMore example sentences
- My dictionary defines naivety as ‘The state or quality of being inexperienced or unsophisticated, especially in being artless, credulous, or uncritical.’
- Regarding the speaker's motive, it implies an artless lack of calculation or an active desire to tell unpleasant truths.
- When meeting the faculty at Wellesley, Roberts is artless enough to admit she has never been to Europe.
- 1.1Without effort or pretentiousness; natural and simple: an artless literary masterpieceMore example sentences
- There's something awful about even a minor car accident, the way the order of the road, which we assume until the moment of impact is natural and artless, suddenly vanishes; the yelling; the horrible noises.
- The basic designs of the bags are simple and seemingly artless - a clutch is a rectangle and a pink velvet holdall the simplest container with the handles made of knotted lengths of fabric.
- As the main quality which Ellen Terry brought to these roles, in addition to her beauty, grace, and charm, was a seemingly artless naturalness and spontaneity, her success tended to be in ratio to the congruence between her and the part.
- 1.2Without skill or finesse: her awkward, artless proseMore example sentences
- Reading their artless, jargon-infested prose, I was seized by a sudden urge to inflict violence on them in a concrete underpass or back alley.
- There's a winning earnestness to her book - she clearly loves her husband and child and the town she's chosen to live in - but her prose is clunky and artless.
- Socialist poetry: two words to conjure images of earnest but artless efforts by would-be Woody Guthries.
- More example sentences
- ‘I'm in love with your brother,’ Karin's narrator states artlessly, before asking: ‘Is he willing?’
- You can see how Bettany would charm Crowe, film directors and Oscar-winning actresses because the actor is exuberant company, studiously modest and still artlessly open.
- It's artlessly written and hideously proofed.