A European plant which has arrow-shaped leaves and a broad leafy spathe enclosing a club-shaped spadix. Pollination is by small flies which are temporarily trapped by the plant.
- Genus Arum, family Araceae (the arum family): several species, in particular the common wild arum or cuckoo pint
More example sentences
- It's a South American species, Xanthosoma robustum, that's related to the dead-horse arum, philodendron, and skunk cabbage.
- The specific epithet amorphophallus refers to the central spadix of the arum, and essentially means amorphous phallus, or shapeless penis.
- Its illustrations - detailed, accurate, and delightful - portray plants ranging from Aegyptian water lily to zebra-flowered arum, commonly known as jack-in-the-pulpit.
late Middle English: from Latin, from Greek aron.
Definition of arum in:
- The US English dictionary