(also arytenoid cartilage)
- Either of a pair of cartilages at the back of the larynx, used in the production of different kinds of voice quality (for example, creaky voice).More example sentences
- It is particularly important to understand the relationship of the following structures: the epiglottis, arytenoid cartilage, aryepiglottic folds, and cricoid cartilage.
- Arytenoid adduction and rotation is another technique that seeks to medialize the vocal process of the paralyzed arytenoid cartilage.
- The middle, conical-shaped pair of corniculate cartilages rest on the apex of the arytenoid cartilages and serve as attachments for muscles that regulate the tension of the vocal cords during speech.
early 18th century: from modern Latin arytaenoides, from Greek arutainoeidēs, from arutaina 'funnel'.
More definitions of arytenoidDefinition of arytenoid in:
- The US English dictionary