- A low-growing European evergreen plant of the birthwort family, formerly used in medicine and as an ingredient in snuff.
More example sentences
- Asarum europaeum, family Aristolochiaceae
- The forest has not been cut for 300 years, and I found myself surrounded by ground flora such as Solomon's seal, lily of the valley, yellow wood anemone, toothwort, asarabacca, herb paris and hepatica.
- The situation of these plants this year has provided a contrast in form and colour to the deep green kidney shaped leaves of the asarabacca rock plants.
- Only plants like sweet woodruff and asarabacca, which are adapted to life in the shade under its thick branches, manage to grow in such conditions.
early 16th century: from Latin asarum (from Greek asaron), probably compounded with a shortened form of another name for the plant in Greek.