Definition of asbestos in English:
- The inhalation of amphibole asbestos is now widely recognized as being highly dangerous to human health.
- But his lungs lost the battle for health years ago when he worked with blue asbestos fibres, insulating for the telephone company.
- One of the varieties is the dangerous blue asbestos, crocidolite.
- We eventually had to make special asbestos cloth covers for the footwell to stop the fried foot problem.
- The floor is covered with thick black linoleum and the walls are acoustically treated with an asbestos compound.
- However, the outside walls were never plastered and asbestos was the material used for the roof.
In Greek asbestos meant ‘unquenchable’. In English it originally referred to a mythical stone that once set alight was impossible to extinguish. This was probably a distorted reference to what happens when cold water is poured on quicklime—it reacts with a lot of heat and fizzing. The word was revived in the 17th century to refer to the fibrous mineral used for making fireproof material.
Words that rhyme with asbestosFestus
Definition of asbestos in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.