- 1Occupation of a position of dominant power or influence: the ascendancy of good over evil [in singular]: the poor have a moral ascendancy over the richMore example sentences
dominance, domination, supremacy, superiority, predominance, pre-eminence, primacy, dominion, hegemony, authority, mastery, control, command, power, sway, rule, sovereignty, lordship, leadership, influence; the upper hand, the whip hand, the edge, advantage
- The ascendency of Hardwicke's position was aided by two factors in addition to Fortescue's retirement.
- The problem of translation has become a moral question of linguistic ascendancy.
- Following his downfall, the conservatives in economic and religious positions are in the ascendancy.
- 1.1 short for Protestant ascendancy.