1The action of rising to an important position or a higher level: his ascension to the presidency
More example sentences
- The first and most important was the ascension of a party chairman who had the ability to lead and attract quality candidates.
- Several important trends will be evident during the ascension of unlicensed bands.
- I don't even remember the words to nursery rhymes, let alone which ones are about the plague and which are about the ascension of King Charles II.
1.1 (Ascension) The ascent of Christ into heaven on the fortieth day after the Resurrection.
- After the Resurrection and the Ascension of Jesus, the disciples were filled with the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The reign of Christ begins with the Ascension, even as the witness of the church will soon be inaugurated by the sending of God's empowering Holy Spirit.
- What does a belief in the Incarnation and the Resurrection and the Ascension and the future judgment mean for Christian practice and politics?
- Example sentences
- A light transmitter, weighing about a pound, is carried up by the balloon at a known ascensional rate.
- The ascensional movement did not cease until the Go-Ahead had reached a height of fourteen thousand feet.
- That search, which Corto knows is fruitless, reconciles the sublimation of the motivating object with the euphemistic cynicism of a horizontal and not ascensional awareness of the journey.
Words that rhyme with ascensionabstention, apprehension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contention, contravention, convention, declension, detention, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prehension, prevention, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: as¦cen|sion
Definition of ascension in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.