- The practice of severe self-discipline, typically for religious reasons.More example sentences
- Those scriptures that contain prescriptions for worshipping gods, sacrifices, donations, ascesis and other rituals, have been prepared by wise men only to keep people subjugated.
- Through daily ascesis, even in periods of no external persecution, the monastics testify to the martyrdom of conscience.
- Hence, monastics are continuously involved in ascesis in order to rid their selves of the heavy burden of self-idolization and self-love.
late 19th century: from Greek askēsis 'training', from askein 'to exercise'.
More definitions of ascesisDefinition of ascesis in:
- The US English dictionary