Definition of ascites in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
The accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, causing abdominal swelling.
- Patients present with the insidious onset of ascites, abdominal pain, and fever.
- With the increase of liver protein synthesis, the liver has a tendency to enlarge causing ascites (abdominal swelling).
- Patients who have cirrhosis with ascites are prone to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.
- Example sentences
- Treatment of hepatic hydrothorax is usual ascitic care, including salt restriction and diuretics.
- Tubercular ascitic fluid is of high attenuation value due to its high protein content.
- No malignant cells were detected in the ascitic fluid.
Definition of ascites in:
- US English dictionary