noun (plural same)
- 1A member of a people of south central Ghana.More example sentences
- I don't really think that there have been any Arabs or Ashanti for many decades who wouldn't recognise a pair of trousers.
- The war was eventually lost, and Asante was annexed, but the Asante claimed victory, because they never lost possession of the sacred stool.
- When the Ashanti resisted, another British expedition finally destroyed the empire, which became a British crown colony in 1902.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Ashanti or their language.More example sentences
- Stamped adinkra, machine-embroidered or appliqued akunitan, brocade, and other forms may not have achieved kente's iconic status, yet each has its own role to play in the constellation of Asante arts of power and prestige.
- Locally made Golden Tree chocolate, wrapped in sparkling aluminum and tempting red paper, it tasted of freshly crushed cocoa beans picked in Asante land.
- More than 100 years old, these drums are one of many artifacts that embody the spirits of Asante culture.
the name in Akan.