- 1(Of a person’s face) very pale with shock, fear, or illness: Eleanor’s ashen faceMore example sentences
- His face was ashen white, and he looked like a ghost, his skin almost translucent.
- Daphne freezes, seeing the sudden fear on her father's ashen face.
- Days later, pictures of the residents' ashen faces were plastered over the papers and broadcast on the news every night, invariably showing tightly strapped face-masks.
- 2 • literary Of or resembling ashes: the ashen colour of the landscape the ashen morning skyMore example sentences
- A thin plume of ashen smoke drifts into the crystalline sky.
- Made of timber from the ash tree.More example sentences
- I slopped the stuff on and miraculously the ashen timbers of our bench and table suite turned slowly back to a healthy brown.