(also ashtanga yoga, astanga /asˈtɑːŋə/)
- A type of yoga based on eight principles and consisting of a series of poses executed in swift succession, combined with deep, controlled breathing.More example sentences
- Meditation is the essence of ashtanga yoga, which means ‘eight limbs.’
- Several traditional yoga styles - kundalini, ashtanga and vinyasa, for example - are offered as well as hybrid styles, including Yogilates, a hatha-yoga-and-Pilates combo.
- It was at that point that ashtanga yoga began spreading in America, starting in California, and then later emerging in Hawaii.
from Hindi aṣṭaṇ or its source, Sanskrit ashṭaṅga 'having eight parts', from ashtán 'eight'.
More definitions of ashtangaDefinition of ashtanga in:
- The US English dictionary