- A poplar tree with small rounded long-stalked leaves that tremble in the breeze.
More example sentences
- Genus Populus, family Salicaceae: several species, in particular the European P. tremula and the North American quaking aspen (P. tremuloides)
- They prefer willows, maples, aspens, and poplars, and by preferentially choosing those species, they can have an important impact on the tree species composition of their communities.
- The trail they followed was lead by a small stream to their right, or to the north, while there left side was a light forest of trees that were no longer palm trees, but aspens and pine trees.
- The stony soil below was covered by dense forests of live oak, Douglas fir, aspen, maple, ponderosa pine, madrone, Arizona cypress, and juniper.
late Middle English: from dialect asp (in the same sense) + -en2, forming an adjective later used as a noun (late 16th century).
More definitions of AspenDefinition of aspen in:
- The US English dictionary