- 1Kill (someone) by depriving them of air: they were asphyxiated by the carbon monoxide fumesMore example sentences
- Steam rose from all directions, billowing into swirls, each a threatening tentacle ready to choke, suffocate, asphyxiate me.
- The kids and I enjoyed having her company, apart from the fact that she just about asphyxiated us all each morning with the amount of hair spray she was using.
- We all know someone who's very closeness can almost asphyxiate us right?
- 1.1 [no object] Die by being deprived of air: they slowly asphyxiatedMore example sentences
- Interestingly enough, both writers are suicides - Hemingway shot himself and Plath asphyxiated in a gas oven.
- Steve was a good friend I lost last year; he asphyxiated and/or drowned at Soda Springs up in Napa.
- Her children's allergy to the sun means they must live in near darkness: anything stronger than candlelight will cause the kids to break out in boils and then asphyxiate.