Having or showing a confident and forceful personality: the job may call for assertive behaviour
More example sentences
- On top of abuse, midwives also face a far more assertive and confident middle class mother than they did even 15 years ago.
- I have become more assertive and self assured, and have found strengths within myself which I did not know existed.
- They reported increased confidence in being more assertive with patients.
confident, forceful, self-confident, positive, bold, decisive, assured, self-assured, self-possessed, believing in oneself, self-assertive, authoritative, strong-willed, insistent, firm, determined, commanding, bullish, dominant, domineering, assaultive
informal feisty, not backward in coming forward, pushy
- Example sentences
- I raised my voice and assertively directed him to move.
- Rather than getting into a shouting match, he recommends taking three deep breaths, changing your environment or making your point assertively but calmly.
- The hostility-reduction intervention included teaching them skills for expressing anger more appropriately and more assertively.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: as¦sert|ive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.