Definition of assertive in English:
Having or showing a confident and forceful personality: the job may call for assertive behaviour
More example sentences
- On top of abuse, midwives also face a far more assertive and confident middle class mother than they did even 15 years ago.
- I have become more assertive and self assured, and have found strengths within myself which I did not know existed.
- They reported increased confidence in being more assertive with patients.
confident, forceful, self-confident, positive, bold, decisive, assured, self-assured, self-possessed, believing in oneself, self-assertive, authoritative, strong-willed, insistent, firm, determined, commanding, bullish, dominant, domineering, assaultive
- Example sentences
- I raised my voice and assertively directed him to move.
- Rather than getting into a shouting match, he recommends taking three deep breaths, changing your environment or making your point assertively but calmly.
- The hostility-reduction intervention included teaching them skills for expressing anger more appropriately and more assertively.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan