A theory in philosophy or psychology which regards the simple association or co-occurrence of ideas or sensations as the primary basis of meaning, thought, or learning.
- Psychological behaviorism is associationism without appeal to mental events.
- The Romantic conception of the self was an outgrowth of Kant's critique of associationism.
- At this point, the regime began to get nervous about the spread of associationism, and it responded by refusing to legalize more independent housewife organizations.
associationist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Cognitive theories of learning have moved away from the associationist view and tried to explain the influences of other processes, such as attention, imagination, thinking, and feeling.
- Not all behavioral associationists, to be sure, shared Skinner's disdain for theory.
- Consider now the rise of the associationist paradigm.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: as¦so¦ci|ation|ism
Definition of associationism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.