- The chemical element of atomic number 85, a radioactive member of the halogen group. Astatine was first produced by bombarding bismuth with alpha particles, and it occurs in traces in nature as a decay product. (Symbol: At)More example sentences
- The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
- There is evidence that astatine behaves like iodine in the body.
- By one estimate, no more than a millionth of a gram of astatine has ever been produced in the lab.
1940s: from Greek astatos 'unstable' + -ine4.
More definitions of astatineDefinition of astatine in:
- The US English dictionary