- A plant of a large genus that includes the Michaelmas daisy, typically having purple or pink rayed flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Aster, family Compositae: numerous species. See also China aster
- Sow annual flowers such as asters, cosmos, zinnias and marigolds as soon as the frost has passed and the air begins to warm up.
- There are flowers everywhere in a carpet of colour: orange globemallows and white asters and purple lupins.
- Roses, pansies, perennial asters, zinnias and even weeds become mildewed.
early 17th century (in the sense 'a star'): via Latin from Greek astēr 'star'.
More definitions of asterDefinition of aster in:
- The US English dictionary