Definition of asterisk in English:
A symbol (*) used in text as a pointer to an annotation or footnote.
- Scholarly notes are usually signalled by superscript numbers at appropriate points in a text, but such symbols as asterisks and obelisks may be used instead for footnotes.
- Many search engines employ wild cards - special symbols, usually an asterisk (*), that you add to a term to indicate different possibilities.
- Everything should have asterisks and footnotes.
verb[with object] Back to top
Mark (a word or piece of text) with an asterisk: (as adjective asterisked) asterisked entries
More example sentences
- It seems only fair that the new records be somehow asterisked.
- Newspapers still asterisk a word that's common currency in newsrooms up and down the country, but in literature the Chatterley classes started taking it as read.
- All asterisked celebrities were pointed out to me by Seth, who is much better at recognizing famous people than I am, bless him.
Definition of asterisk in:
- US English dictionary