- 1The dark curly fleece of young karakul lambs from central Asia: [as modifier]: an astrakhan collarMore example sentences
- He was an exceptionally tall man, dressed in a long black overcoat with astrakhan collar and cuffs.
- Animal rights activists in Great Britain and elsewhere are launching new protests against astrakhan, lambskin derived from lambs that are killed shortly after birth and, activists claim, in some cases before they are born.
- That was the time, at the height of the Cold War, when he rolled up in a new Lada, wearing a black astrakhan hat with Soviet-style greatcoat, and parked on a double yellow line in front of the house.
mid 18th century: named after the city of Astrakhan, from which the fleeces were exported.
More definitions of AstrakhanDefinition of astrakhan in:
- The US English dictionary