- A plant of the parsley family with small compact starlike heads of tiny flowers surrounded by prominent bracts, native to Europe and western Asia.
More example sentences
- Genus Astrantia, family Umbelliferae: several species, in particular A. major, which is often grown in gardens
- Like the astrantia described above, Primula capitata likes moist soil in partial shade.
- The designers have chosen astrantias, roses, campanula, achilleas, an acer and an ornamental cherry.
- Around the house are herbaceous beds with cranesbill, catmint, astrantias, irises and hostas in subtle colours.
modern Latin, perhaps from Greek astēr 'star'.