Definition of astrometry in English:
The measurement of the positions, motions, and magnitudes of stars.
- In this way, astronomers will perform very precise astrometry to detect the reflex motion of stars due to orbiting planets.
- One technique, known as astrometry, involves precisely measuring the position of a star.
- The main branches are astrometry, celestial mechanics, and astrophysics.
- astrometric adjective
- Example sentences
- To date there have been no successful detections of extrasolar planets with the astrometric method.
- Tycho had collected in one place the finest astrometric instruments of his day - four decades before Galileo introduced the astronomical telescope.
- After obtaining the images, she used astrometric software to determine the coordinates of the target asteroid's apparent position in each image.
Definition of astrometry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.