Definition of astrometry in English:
The measurement of the positions, motions, and magnitudes of stars.
- In this way, astronomers will perform very precise astrometry to detect the reflex motion of stars due to orbiting planets.
- One technique, known as astrometry, involves precisely measuring the position of a star.
- The main branches are astrometry, celestial mechanics, and astrophysics.
- Example sentences
- To date there have been no successful detections of extrasolar planets with the astrometric method.
- Tycho had collected in one place the finest astrometric instruments of his day - four decades before Galileo introduced the astronomical telescope.
- After obtaining the images, she used astrometric software to determine the coordinates of the target asteroid's apparent position in each image.
Definition of astrometry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia