Definition of astrophysics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of astronomy concerned with the physical nature of stars and other celestial bodies, and the application of the laws and theories of physics to the interpretation of astronomical observations.
- Cosmology and astrophysics are branches of physics in which one needs an unusual combination of breadth and depth to excel.
- Modern astronomical research proceeds at a rapid pace due to the application of new technologies in astronomy and astrophysics.
- The picture suggests possible solutions to many outstanding questions in physics and astrophysics.
- Example sentences
- In order to find out what this mysterious energy really is, astronomers need to compare astrophysical observations that are at first sight completely unrelated.
- The study of these energetic particles will broaden our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system, as well as of the astrophysical processes involved.
- Pulsars and quasars may turn out to be commonplace in comparison to the exotic astrophysical events that gravity wave astronomy reveals.
Words that rhyme with astrophysicscervix • yikes
Definition of astrophysics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.