noun (plural asymmetries)[mass noun]
- Lack of equality or equivalence between parts or aspects of something; lack of symmetry: there was an asymmetry between the right and left ears the global system is marked by great asymmetry: the most important goods are controlled by groups in a relatively small number of countries [count noun]: gravitational asymmetries had pulled the sphere out of shapeMore example sentences
- And when we choose asymmetry it is usually because we recognise the effect that the absence of symmetry produces.
- To see an obvious example of asymmetry, just look at your hands.
- Why must the price of peace be paid symmetrically, when only asymmetry exists in the causes of war?
mid 17th century: from Greek asummetria, from a- 'without' + summetria (see symmetry).
More definitions of asymmetryDefinition of asymmetry in:
- The US English dictionary