Definition of asynchronous in English:
1Not existing or occurring at the same time.
- It's like having an extended asynchronous conversation and being able to save what were once stray thoughts.
- The only time services work online is when we accept this is an asynchronous media.
- Foreshadowing email, they made informal, asynchronous communication with your co-workers a major part of modern office life.
2 Computing & Telecommunications Controlling the timing of operations by the use of pulses sent when the previous operation is completed rather than at regular intervals.
- To achieve this fine-grained control, detailed, real-time, asynchronous messages are sent back and forth between the application and media servers.
- This enables a high-data throughput between the synchronous circuit and the asynchronous circuit independently of a clock frequency of the synchronous circuit.
- The answer may be more analogous to an alternative method of coordinating operations known as asynchronous computing.
3(Of a machine or motor) not working in time with the alternations of current.
- Power losses occurring during the operation of a controlled asynchronous motor are calculated and used to determine the parameters of the cooling air flow produced by a ventilator.
- Industrial automation has placed increasing demands on asynchronous motor drives and the tasks performed by these machines are becoming ever more complex.
- Although the construction of asynchronous motors is simple and their equivalent circuits and operations are well understood, it is still considered the most difficult topic to learn and teach.
4 Astronomy (Of a satellite) revolving round the parent planet at a different rate from that at which the planet rotates.
- And asynchronous satellites orbit at 400 miles above the Earth, while polar satellites orbit much lower than that, and geostationary satellites orbit at 22,223 miles above the Earth or rather less than 22,000 nautical miles.
- 1asynchronously adverb
- Example sentences
- In a web-based course, the course content is developed as modules in HTML, and interaction takes place asynchronously through discussion boards or plain old e-mail.
- When people exchange information they can do it synchronously, i.e., interacting at the same time, or asynchronously, i.e., interacting at different times.
- Eggs are incubated for 25-30 days and hatch asynchronously.
- 2asynchrony noun
- Example sentences
- In this study, we investigated whether seasonal reproduction in a tropical species is synchronous between two populations in close proximity and, if not, whether asynchrony is correlated with genetic and cultural differentiation.
- Specifically, participants are presented with a sequence of brief stimuli with a constant stimulus onset asynchrony, and are asked to respond when they believe the sequence has ended.
- Indeed, in our study population, hatching asynchrony was higher in a warmer year than in an average year.
Definition of asynchronous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.