Definition of atherosclerosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A disease of the arteries characterized by the deposition of fatty material on their inner walls. See also atheroma.
- The underlying cause of most heart attacks is atherosclerosis, a disease of the coronary arteries that usually develops over many years.
- The commonest cause of thrombosis in arteries is atherosclerosis.
- Inflammation plays a central role in atherosclerosis, in which fatty deposits clog your arteries.
- Example sentences
- She has a history of hypertensive atherosclerotic heart disease that is currently well controlled and asymptomatic.
- As the number of these risk factors increase, so does the risk of developing atherosclerotic and thrombotic disease.
- Carotid artery stenosis is characterized by atherosclerotic changes, plaquing, ulcerations, and a progressive narrowing of the carotid vessels.
Definition of atherosclerosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia