Definition of athetize in English:
verb[with object] rare
Reject (a passage in a text) as spurious: (as adjective athetized) groups of athetized lines
More example sentences
- When Homer said something that would better have been left unsaid, one option for the scholars of Hellenistic Alexandria was simply to athetize it - to declare it spurious on the ground that Homer could not have said such a thing.
- You may find it was a line athetized by Aristarchus, or a word variant suggested by Zenodotus, in which case you can suspect your perception of the Greek language is getting better.
- Aristaracus, like many later commentators, was uncertain about the purpose of this passage and therefore athetized it.
- Example sentences
- No other work of Euripides has come down to us with so many distortions and has undergone so many atheteses as Iphigenia at Aulis.
- Proponents of this solution point to Aristarchus' athetesis of line 92, a verse that is also missing in papyrus 12, a mid-third-century BCE text.
Definition of athetize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan