- 1A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise: he had the broad-shouldered build of a natural athleteMore example sentences
- Big money comes more quickly for athletes in other sports than it does in boxing.
- I have noticed in the last year or two a drop-off in the number of young athletes coming into the sport.
- Although not a natural athlete, he could perform amazing physical feats.
- 1.1British A person who takes part in competitive track and field events (athletics).More example sentences
- Any halfway competitive track athlete ought to be able to cover that in 20 seconds, tops.
- Many local athletes competed in the North East's leading open meeting of the season.
- Have a good week at work and best of luck to our athletes in the track and field events today!
late Middle English: from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein 'compete for a prize', from athlon 'prize'.