Definition of athletics in English:
plural noun[usually treated as singular]
1British The sport of competing in track and field events, including running races and various competitions in jumping and throwing.
- Jarlath Duffy won his award following a very successful year on the athletics track.
- The other topic that has dogged athletics, as it has so many sports in recent years, is drugs.
- It is not just in athletics that competitors have tried to evade being drug-tested.
1.1North American Physical sports and games of any kind.
- Having done athletics and played netball the transition to rugby was not difficult.
- And after that you have athletics and golf and tennis and whatever you like yourself.
- Were ancient athletics useful for preparing young Greek men for the battlefield?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan